Research Fellow – Economics Program
The Centre for Independent Studies (CIS), Australia’s foremost independent public policy think tank is seeking an economist or a person with a related degree to join our economics team. This position will suit a person with a passion for promoting market-based solutions for public policy issues.
Our work is both rigorous and practical and the person we are looking for will be able to drive a research project, engage with the media and policy community to communicate the findings and propel changes in thinking on important policy issues.
The position is based in Sydney. We would prefer full-time but will consider outstanding part-time candidates.
Role and Responsibilities
• Work independently and with other CIS researchers on our economics research program. Current areas of interest are infrastructure, labour market, welfare spending in particular family payments, regulation, environment, population, federalism and trade.
• Undertake research projects and develop evidence based policy recommendations presented in multiple formats (reports, commentary and multimedia)
• Communicate the research work to CIS supporters, business, government and the general public through public presentations, media work and speeches.
• Articulate CIS policy positions through media appearances and interviews on television and radio
• Write opinion pieces for hard copy and online newspapers and blogs
• Contribute articles to CIS publications such as Policy magazine and our web-based newsletter ‘ideas’
• Engage with supporters on Facebook and Twitter
• Ability to work well within a small team.
Qualifications and Background
• Degree in Economics would be preferred but other degrees will be considered
• Previous writing experience, including opinion pieces, journal articles or online publications (ideally substantive research-based pieces)
• Experience working in academia, business, government, volunteer sector or in think tanks
• Strong interest in contributing to the debate around public policy issues
• Strong communication skills particularly with media
• Good analytical skills
• A genuine interest and understanding of the philosophical direction of The Centre for Independent Studies
• Salary will be commensurate with experience
• Interstate or overseas applicants must be able to move to Sydney
• The position will be reviewed on a yearly basis and is dependent on ongoing funding.
Written emailed applications only. Please include a cover letter addressing the position criteria, your CV and three referees.
Send to: Email: email@example.com
C/- J. Lindsay
Phone: 02 9438 4377
A small number of short-term unpaid internships are available throughout the year. If you would like to be considered for a position during 2016 please send in your CV and a cover letter and we will add you to the waiting list and contact you when a position becomes available.
We select interns on three main criteria:
1. That the intern is studying in a field that we have a research interest in or that they are prepared to be involved in the project we offer them which may not be directly research oriented.
2. That a mentor within the CIS is available to work with the intern. We have found that the experience is less than satisfactory on both sides if there isn’t a real project to be worked on and real support for the intern.
3. That you are available to work at our office at 131 Macquarie St Sydney
Please send your CV and a cover letter explaining why you would like to intern at the CIS. We would also like to know your availability. For your information we have have interns who have worked with us for 12-14 weeks for 1 day a week and others who have worked 2-3 days a week over a shorter period of time in holiday periods.
Please send your application to Jenny Lindsay firstname.lastname@example.org