Work with CIS – Director of Intergenerational Inequality
The Centre for Independent Studies (CIS) is Australia’s premier independent public policy think tank. Our mission is to encourage and provide independent, fact-based practical research and encourage/provoke debate that promotes liberty, the rule of law, free enterprise and an efficient democratic government. The latest political or social trends do not direct CIS. We work to develop solutions to the big public-policy problems.
We are seeking to fill the new position of CIS Director of Intergenerational Inequality. Younger generations will end up bearing most of the cost of the Covid crisis. Indeed, intergenerational inequality – be it asset or income – is the real issue policymakers and political leaders will have to address in coming years. The issues cover debt, housing affordability, superannuation reform, economic reform and climate mitigation.
This is an important position that we believe will co-ordinate the CIS research activities and take the research outcomes to the next level. The person we are looking for will have a strong affiliation with the CIS mission, understand the CIS strategic positioning and have the intellectual capacity to drive forward the CIS’s research program. They will have an enthusiasm for engaging in public policy debate, especially among Australians in their 20s and 30s, as well as an ability to commission and promote research that addresses intergenerational inequality.
Develop and implement a strategic research agenda that advances the objectives of the CIS in conjunction with the Research Director.
Ensure that all research is intellectually rigorous and of high quality.
Foster a workplace culture that values intellectual creativity and achievement by:
- Workingto ensure research, editing and publication deadlines are met
- Overseeing a program of professional development for the intergenerational inequality subject
- Identifying opportunities to recruit talented contributors, writers and panellists for events
Take a lead role in the CIS marketing and communications strategy by:
- Promoting CIS research to supporters, business, government, media and the general public via media appearances, public presentations and speeches
- Cultivating professional relationships with the media, members of state and federal parliaments and heads of government departments
- Assisting with fundraising activities where appropriate
Provide detailed reports to the board of the CIS on the status and direction of the program.
Qualifications and Background
- A postgraduate qualification, ideally in economics, is highly desired. However, exceptional candidates with equivalent experience in the private sector or not-for-profits will be considered
- The preferred candidate will have the ability to relate to Australians in their 20s and 30s
- Strong publication and research record
- An existing network of contacts within media, academia and government
- A recognised and developed media profile and a high level of media experience
- Skills and experience in supervising and developing research staff
- Excellent organisational and time management skills, including the ability to set priorities, work independently and perform well under pressure
- Well-developed problem-solving, negotiation and interpersonal skills
- Strong communication, analysis and writing skills
- Understanding of the not-for-profit sector
- Strong interest in contributing to the debate around public policy issues
- A genuine interest and understanding of the Centre for Independent Studies and its mission
- Salary will be at a senior level and will be commensurate with experience
- The position is full time
- Australian Citizens/Permanent Residents only
- The position is based in Sydney, with the expectation that you will work in the office a minimum of 3 days per week. Whilst Covid restrictions are in place, it is preferred you work remotely until the office is re-opened
For an informal discussion about this position, candidates are welcome to contact the General Manager on 02 9438 4377.
Written applications only. Please include a cover letter addressing the position criteria, your CV and three referees.
Jane Black, General Manager
Phone: 02 9438 4377